Like the movies before it, the Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy game, which launches on 26th October, looks to blend high-octane action sequences with an epic ’80s soundtrack. And the songlist includes Wham!, Blondie and Rick Astley!
In fact, the big-budget game (developed by Eidos Montreal) boasts a lot of cool favourites you can expect to hear through the game:
- Blondie – Call Me
- Blue Oyster Cult – Don’t Fear The Reaper
- Bobby McFerrin – Don’t Worry Be Happy
- Hot Chocolate – Every 1’s A Winner
- Wang Chung – Everybody Have Fun Tonight
- Tears For Fears – Everybody Wants To Rule The World
- EUROPE – The Final Countdown
- New Kids on the Block – Hangin’ Tough
- Pat Benatar – Hit Me With Your Best Shot
- Bonnie Tyler – Holding Out for a Hero
- KISS – I Love It Loud
- Flock of Seagulls – I Ran
- Culture Club – I’ll Tumble 4 Ya
- Mötley Crüe – Kickstart My Heart
- Simple Minds – Love Song
- Rick Astley – Never Gonna Give You Up
- Frankie Goes To Hollywood – Relax
- Def Leppard – Rock Rock Till You Drop
- Rainbow – Since You Been Gone
- A-ha – Take On Me
- Soft Cell – Tainted Love
- Loverboy – Turn Me Loose
- Autograph – Turn Up the Radio
- Wham! – Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go
- Scandal featuring Patty Smyth – The Warrior
- Starship – We Built This City
- Twisted Sister – We’re Not Gonna Take It
- Billy Idol – White Wedding
And that’s not even the complete list.
Today, a new TV spot for Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy sets the stage for the release of the upcoming game. In the new cutscene, Star-Lord, Gamora, Drax, Rocket and Groot discuss strategy before defaulting to their Plan B: an assault co-ordinated to Mötley Crüe’s “Kickstart My Heart.”
It seems that this is actually a mechanic found in Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy. Players will be able to call a Huddle during combat and choose which motivational words to offer the team. “If chosen correctly, all of the Guardians will receive a powerup, making it easier for them to bang enemy heads while listening to one of the game’s 30 headbanging tracks,” a press release states.
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is a single-player action-adventure game featuring an all-new story. You play as Star-Lord, a former space pirate and resistance hero, now leader of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Time to show the universe what your band of legendary misfits is made of. You got this. Probably.
Will Square Enix redeem itself after 2020’s Marvel’s Avengers was met with harsh criticism? Well, they seem to be on the right track (excuse the pun). It could very well be a huge comeback for the publisher and a surprise hit for fans.