Founded in 2012, Fortress of Solitude has become one of the most popular geek entertainment interest websites in South Africa and covers news and reviews on movies, games, comic books, gadgets, TV series, toys, sneakers and more.
We are NOT a blog. We are NOT an eCommerce site. We ARE journalists. We ARE influencers. We ARE global. Fortress of Solitude IS one of the top entertainment news sites in South Africa and the world. We have writers across South Africa (Cape Town, Johannesburg, East London, Pretoria, Durban) and abroad (USA and the UK).
Fortress of Solitude had 4.5 million views in 2019
Our readers like superheroes. Watching horror movies. Reading comic books. Showing off the latest tech. Wearing the coolest sneakers. Owning the best toys. Playing the best video games.
Fortress of Solitude attracts visitors from around the world – the most popular being South Africa, the United States and the United Kingdom.
The writing team comes from diverse backgrounds in filmmaking, creating writing, copyrighting, technical studies and business management. Brought together by a passion for entertainment, the writers strive to create the most engaging content for superhero and geek fans across the world.
The Fortress of Solitude team:
- Jarrod SaundersJarrod Saunders is the founder and editor-in-chief of Fortress of Solitude. He currently works as a filmmaker (director, writer, editor) but has previous experience as a multimedia developer, web designer, DTP operator, graphic designer, layout artist and sound engineer.
- Evan SaundersWith over a decade worth of experience in the field, Evan is a techie at heart. He is also a sneakerhead with a love for playing football, watching sports, movies, series and anime. The odd occasion he's free, he enjoys some gaming, along with app, web and graphic design too.
- Sergio PereiraSERGIO PEREIRA is a writer from Johannesburg, South Africa. He has a strong interest in comic books, film, music, and comedy. He is the author of the highly rated fantasy comedy novel The Not-So-Grim Reaper and numerous short stories. In addition, he is the co-writer of the South African crime drama film The Lifesaver. As a columnist, he contributes to Screen Rant, CBR, SYFY WIRE, IGN Africa, and Fortress of Solitude.
- Caryn GanessCaryn Ganess is a psychology honours graduate turned full-time mother. She USE TO enjoy binge-watching series on Netflix and singing along to obnoxiously loud music from the '90s. Now, on the odd occasion she has free time, she enjoys reading and watching psychological thrillers.
- Charlene BadasieCharlene is an advocate of individuality and a firm believer in pancakes for dinner. Her biggest passions are writing and music, with bylines at Glamour, GQ, HuffPost, Thrive Global and Backstage with Jon Bon Jovi. She loves movies, reading and is a closet comic book superhero geek. As an avid Harry Styles enthusiast, she spends far too much time watching his music videos online.
- Clare MatthesAfter years as a B2B journalist, then a news journalist and eventually an editor in various industries including forestry, architecture, education and 702/947's EWN newsroom, Clare finally found herself at ITWeb covering a beat she never dreamed she would – IT, technology and gadgets - a grounding she's now expanded upon on a freelance basis. Clare has co-hosted the Talking Tech show on CliffCentral, chatted about tech news on the Gareth Cliff Show, SAfm, MixFM, and PowerFM's Power Update. She's also written a humorous technology column in Brainstorm magazine and has a recurring byline in Brainstorm, Popular Mechanics, BizCommunity, and recently Fortress of Solitude, to mention a few.
- Darron SaundersDarron is a graphic designer. On the odd occassion that he is not staring at his computer screen he also enjoys sports, gaming, gadgets, movies, art & design.
- Deville LouwDeville is a 30-something husband and father. His passions include gaming and toy collecting.
- Loïs QutobLoïs is a fantasy-loving, hip-hop dance teaching geek and qualified copywriter. He is a lover of videogames, comics and entertainment that once foolishly believed he could download more RAM.
- Rick AustinRick Austin is the author of fantasy-parody Life Insurance of the Gods (in paperback on Lulu.com!), and writes for various websites and anthologies. He is a fully-functioning geek, cosplayer and owner of a pair of TARDIS Converse sneakers.
- Tafadzwa NjovanaTafadzwa Njovana is a video writer, director and editor with extreme geek tendencies. He loves tech, good stories and coffee. He also runs The Reel Sauce, a YouTube channel all about celebrating the best of African screen entertainment in the streaming space.
- Trent MeikleTrent Meikle (20) is an aspiring writer from Johannesburg, South Africa. He is greatly interested in videogames, reading, writing, and football. He is the undisputed FIFA and Rocket League champion (too good for tournaments, so can’t prove it). He often contributes to The United Stand, writing articles about his favourite football club, Manchester United.