A few weeks ago, we covered the sneak preview of the upcoming Vans X David Bowie collection, which pays tribute to the life and legacy of one of the most iconic musicians of our time, David Bowie. Vans was inspired through many of Bowie’s albums to create a collection of unisex footwear and apparel for both young and old alike, celebrating “the man who fell to earth.”
David Bowie, a truly immortal artist in his own right, revolutionised both the music and fashion industry with his unique sense of style, leaving behind a legacy of innovation and reinvention to last a lifetime. Vans has confirmed the silhouettes for the local market, which includes designs from various albums throughout Bowie’s career, starting with Space Oddity in 1969 all the way to his final album, ★, in 2016. In addition to the sneakers, the collection also features a select list of apparel and accessories as part of the capsule with artwork from various albums, ranging from Aladdin Sane and Ziggy Stardust to Serious Moonlight tour. The footwear included is as follows:
- Vans Classic Era: The Era was inspired by Bowie’s Space Oddity single from 1969. Vans’ first skate silhouette highlights the various hues of blue and green with cylindrical shapes, which match the album art. The look is completed with a black sole with the album name accented on the medial and tonal design details on the lateral side.
- Slip-On 47 V: The silhouette is reimagined to include a faux fur checkerboard on the upper, reminiscent of the coat seen on Bowie on the Hunky Dory album. The design is complemented with yellow suede and finished with the artist’s moniker on the pull-tab.
- Sk8-Hi Platform 2.0: Paying homage to Bowie’s glam rock alter-ego, Ziggy Stardust, the silhouette features a platform-style look, decked in all-over red patent leather. In addition to this, the sneaker includes Bowie lettering embossed into the upper. The look is completed with a black platform sole. The silhouette is available for both men and women’s styles.
- Old Skool and Sk8-Hi: The Old Skool silhouette is dedicated to the Aladdin Sane album, which includes a pearlescent pebbled leather upper. The upper is then accented by the iconic red and blue lightning bolt, and completed with the classic Vans Sidestripe. The Sk8-Hi model includes a checkerboard printed sidewall, which also includes the lightning bolt logo overlaid across the ubiquitous print and Sidestripe.
- Classic Slip-On: The final silhouette in the range coincides with Bowie’s final album, ★. The upper features a combination of suede and canvas, while the vamp includes a vinyl star on the toe end. The tonal black outsole includes an embossed star, with the look completed with a galaxy of stars on the footbed, as a tribute to Bowie’s legacy.
The Vans x David Bowie collection is available for a limited time in select Vans retail stores across the country with pricing starting at R1,399 for the footwear.