Recently, across the globe there has been a serious focus towards getting fit and embracing a healthy lifestyle. With being healthy seen as a massive trend, Roxy Barker, a Mi Whey protein ice-cream brand ambassador, shares her tips on how to work towards getting in shape and that perfect body for 2016.
Roxy is a well-known figure in fitness arena and admits there is no easy way to get your body in peak shape, but with hard work and determination anything is possible.
What are your 3 diet tips?
- High protein, low carb, low fat diets work for me. However you should never cut out carbs completely, allow good carbs in your diet such as sweet potato, brown rice, and quinoa.
- Cut out sugar, dairy and oils where ever you can.
- Increase your water intake and try eating 5-6 meals a day this will help speed up your metabolism
What are your top 5 tips for anyone training towards an event or goal?
- Write down your goals, this is the first step to getting into a routine.
- Set realistic weekly goals and stick to them! Approach you activities as weekly, manageable workouts to avoid giving up.
- Look for things that help motivate you to achieve those goals, whether it be the people you surround yourself with, following your favourite fitness idol or even look back at how far you have come and where you want to be. This in its self will motivate you.
- Don’t let things distract you from achieving your goals.
- Not everyone will understand and support your goals so you need to be doing it for you and not let anyone discourage you.
How long do you normally spend in the gym per day?
About 2-3 hours, depending on how much time I have available. Most weekdays it’s only 2 hours as I’m a trainer at Rishape Fitness Monday to Thursday in the evenings which doesn’t give me much time between this and work to train. So I have to train in the mornings from 04.30 and then squeeze in cardio in the evenings before Rishape.
What gets your week started?
My Monday workout! A good leg session gets my body going for the week ahead, which includes;
40 minutes full incline walking on treadmill speed 5.
Followed by legs:
- 4x sets leg extensions 15-20reps
- 5x sets weighted squats 12 -15 reps
- 4x sets walking lunges 15-30 reps
- 4x sets lying hamstring curls 10-15 reps
- 4x sets straight leg deadlifts 12-15 reps
- 4x sets abductor machine 30-50 reps
- 4x sets glute thrusts 30 reps
How big of a sweet tooth do you have?
My sweet tooth is crazy! When I’m prepping for a show I smell sweet things even when there are none anywhere near me. Mi Whey really helps me with these cravings, it’s the perfect healthy cheat that I need when the craving strikes.
What is your favourite way to treat yourself after an event or training session using Mi Whey ice-cream?
Protein pancakes with Chocolate Mi Whey, strawberries and a spoon of Nutella.