Happy May the 4th! Need some last minute ideas to get your Star Wars Day party started? Here are some of my favourite fun treats and crafts gathered from a galaxy far, far away…
Chewbacca’s Wookiee Cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes, baked from your favorite recipe
- Chocolate frosting, store bought
- White chocolate chips
- Brown taffy (such as Tootsie Rolls)
- Black gel icing
- White gel icing
- Frost cooled cupcakes with chocolate frosting.
- For eyes, press white chocolate chips, pointy-side down, into the frosted cupcakes.
- Pull off two small pieces of brown taffy and roll them into balls. Press these onto the white chocolate chips.
- Dab on black gel icing pupils, a nose, and a few lines of black gel icing in around his face.
- Draw a small upside down U, using white gel icing for Chewbacca’s fanged mouth.
- To finish, pull a toothpick through the chocolate frosting to create the look of a shaggy coat of fur.
Princess Leia cupcakes
- Cream cheese frosting
- Black frosting
- Heart quins
- Take your cooled cupcake and spread a THIN smooth layer of frosting on top. I used cream cheese frosting because it has a slightly off white tint to it, which I liked for the complexion.
- Take the black frosting with a #4 tip and start on one side of the hair first. (We are going for a middle part, here.) Add the other side of the hair and then the eyes. Place a little heart quin for the lips. Now for the hair buns, stick an Oreo to one side of the cupcake liner, using the black frosting to hold it tight. Do the same for the other side. To get rid of the ‘white line’ i.e. creamy centre, simply run a thin layer of black frosting down the centre of the sandwich cookie.
- 3 ounces / a little over 1/3 cup of milk
- 1 ounce / 2 tbsp of cream
- 1 ounce / 2 tbsp of coconut rum
- 1 ounce / 2tbsp of amaretto
- 2 ounces / ¼ cup of blue curacao
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice and shake for 20-30 seconds until chilled. Serve in a chilled glass. It tastes like a creamsicle! The almond and coconut flavours help reduce the orange flavour and create a sweeter drink that is a lovely shade of blue.
As always, this recipe is only for Jedi over the legal drinking age! If you’ve got younglings around who’d like to enjoy blue milk of their own (and seriously, what kid wouldn’t want some blue milk?) we suggest the following substitutions:
- Almond milk for the amaretto, which can also take the place of the normal milk.
- Coconut water for the rum
- Dilute a little orange juice with a bit of water and add blue food coloring for the curacao. Or, you could take a scoop of orange sherbet and combine it with the food coloring for more of a float style drink.
Yoda’s Green Sherbet Sundaes
- Green sherbet
- Green taffy, 2 for each Yoda
- Mini marshmallows, 1 for each Yoda
- Food coloring pens, yellow and black
- Kitchen shears
- Ice cream scoop
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Before starting, be sure that there is space in your freezer for a small cookie sheet.
- Place parchment paper on top of a cookie sheet and then scoop balls of green sherbet onto parchment paper. Place the cookie sheet in the freezer.
- While the sherbet is firming up, open two taffy candies and pull them to flatten. Use kitchen shears to cut a teardrop ear shape from each candy.
- Cut a tiny round nose, a thin line for a mouth, and two crescents (for eyelids) from the scraps of remaining green taffy.
- Cut a mini marshmallow in half and draw a yellow iris and black pupil on each marshmallow half using food colouring pens
- Remove the sherbet from the freezer and place each sherbet ball in a sundae cup.
- Press the ears into the sides of the sherbet and decorate with the eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Serve immediately.
Princess Leia Headband & Hairdo
Leia’s fancy hairdo is a fashion must-do for aspiring Star Wars princesses. Braid yarn and roll it into two buns, then glue the buns to a headband or you can watch the video below showing how to make the perfect Princess Leia hairdo with your own hair!
For step-by-step guide to making a Leia Headband visit: http://spoonful.com/crafts/princess-leia-headband