In the early hours of Thursday morning (Wednesday evening in the US) Sony unveiled its next-generation gaming system, the Sony PlayStation 4, at a New York event, a development that would give the console gaming company a head start over it’s Xbox competitor. Nearly seven years since the PlayStation 3 went on sale in 2006, the new console arrived amid declines in sales for the PS3 video game hardware, software and accessories. Millions of fans from around the world gathered around the internet to watch the unveiling of the PS4, ushering in the next generation of video game entertainment. Leaked documents proved many of our early suspicions, excite computer games fans across the globe.
What To Read Next
Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Andrew House and lead system architect Mark Cerny presented the new console, which will have a X86 CPU, an enhanced PC GPU graphics processor, 8GB of system memory, and local storage HDD. The PS4 will also feature a new DualShock 4 controller with enhanced rumble capabilities, a touch pad, share button, headset jack, and a dual camera that senses the position of the controller.
Here’s the full spec sheet:
Single-chip custom processor, with eight x86-64 AMD Jaguar CPU cores and 1.84 TFLOPS next-gen AMD Radeon based graphics engine
8GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in hard drive
6x Blu-Ray and 8x DVD drive
USB 3.0 and auxiliary ports
Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth 2.1
HDMI, analog AV-out, and optical S/PDIF audio output
DualShock 4 controller, with two-point capacitive touchpad, three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer, vibration, light bar with three color LEDs, mono speaker, micro USB port, stereo headset port, extension port, 1000mAh battery
PlayStation 4 Eye camera, with two 1280 x 800 cameras, f/2.0 fixed focus lenses, 85-degree field of view, 30cm minimum focusing distance, four-channel microphone array
- PlayStation 4 can also upload video while you play, allow users to watch games remotely.
- Sony PlayStation 4 games can be played while they are being downloaded.
- DualShock 4 controller with touchpad and 3D camera tracking.
- Instant ‘remote play’ of PlayStation 4 games on PS Vita.
- You can instantly pause and resume the system. Not the game, the system. No more console boot time.
- When your friend buys a game you’ll instantly know and can jump in and start playing with them.
- Sony completely revamped its user interface for the PlayStation 4.
- Playstation 4 can predict what games you like and download the sequels for you ahead of time.
- Playstation 4 has unbelievable graphics.
- PlayStation 4 tech specs revealed an AMD ‘Jaguar’ CPU, faster Blu-ray, 720p 3D camera
- PlayStation App for iOS and Android adds second screen to PS4
- Promoted by Sony as being like a “supercharged PC.”
- PlayStation 4 won’t play PS3 games natively.
Other cool features:
Not so cool features:
The first PS4 games were revealed: ‘Killzone: Shadow Fall,’ ‘Deep Down,’ ‘Watch Dogs,’ ‘Infamous,’ ‘Bungie’ and more. Unfortunately, Sony failed to show the PlayStation 4 console at PlayStation 4 event, except to say that it will be launched in the holiday period (November – December) of 2013. Sony will be hoping for the new console to help turn around its fortunes, with the struggling Japanese firm posting a £3.2bn loss last year – the third year it had ended in deficit.