rAge 2016 is coming. It’s that time of the year again when geeks, gamers, cosplayers and board gamers once again come together to celebrate everything gaming, technology and geek culture related.
This is the 14th year that rAge will be returning, and as SA’s biggest video game, technology, and geek culture event there are lots to look forward to. This year will once again be jam-packed with competitions, eSports tournaments, exhibitions, industry guests, panels and so much more. Like previous years rAge promises to be an event that is not to be missed. So get ready to head to the Ticketpro Dome at Northgate between 7-9 October 2016 for some gaming and all around geeky goodness.
Want to know more about what’s in store on the show floor? We’ve got you covered with some of the highlights.
One of the main attractions at rAge this year is the three eSports tournaments. Visitors will be able to spectate all the matches daily as they will be taking place live on the main show floor.
- Telkom DGL Masters [Dota 2 / Counter-Strike: Global Offensive] – Platform: PC / R1,000,000 prize pool
- Call of Duty World League (CWL) Monster Astro Gaming (MAG) Cup [Call of Duty: Black Ops III] – Platform: PS4 / R120,000 prize pool
- African Challenge Esport (ACE) gaming tournament [FIFA 17] – Platform: Xbox One/ R18,000 prize pool
The Telkom Digital Gaming Championship (DGC) will also be happening over the weekend, where 500 of the best competitors from seven online leagues have been invited to take part in the VIP LAN.
Computers, Hardware & Gadgets
- Apex Interactive will reveal a new range of accessories and headsets, including the new NACON GC-400ES Alpha Pad – the most accurate eSports-focused PC controller ever.
- Plantronics will be showcasing a new console headset lineup, featuring the RIG 800 series, the first wireless headset for console gaming with a 24-hour battery life.
- NAG and MSI will be hosting overclocking workshops throughout the course of the weekend on stand 29.
Animation & Motion Suits
- The Learn 3D Computer Animation School will be running competitions based on games that Learn 3D students have developed this year, as well as showcasing a new motion capture suit called the Perception Neuron.
Geek Culture & Lifestyle
- Sera Blue will be launching their new book Relative Scale – an anthology written by Abi Godsell.
- Cosplay workshops will be held on the cosplay stage during the course of the weekend. Topics include wig styling, a make-up panel and a Cosplay 101 Q&A.
- Hot 91.9 FM will be broadcasting live from the expo. Visit their stand for old-school classic arcade games and Scalextric toys, as well as branded merchandise.
- Blue Ocean VR will be showcasing both VR (Virtual Reality) and AR (Augmented Reality).
- The Virtual Space will be running VR demos on their stand. The demos will include 360-degree video, interactive games and educational apps.
- The following games will be showcased on the Megarom stand (stand 52): For Honor, Steep, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Eagle Flight, Final Fantasy XV, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration and Hitman.
- The Megarom Demo Room at Castle Corner will be showcasing two titles from Ubisoft: Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Wildlands and Watch Dogs 2.
- Skylanders Imaginators will be on stand 48.
- LEGO Dimensions (Year 1 + 2) unreleased content playable on the show floor at stand 49.
- Dishonored 2 will be behind closed doors (invite-only) and no hands-on.
- The Warner Bros. Games stand will feature Injustice 2 (behind closed doors, no hands-on) and Batman: Return to Arkham, which will be playable on stand 54.
- Stand 27 is where you will find Xbox, 2K and EA with the following titles: FIFA 17, XCOM 2, Mafia III, NBA 2K17, BioShock: The Collection, Forza Horizon 3, Recall, We Happy Few, Everspace, Cuphead.
- PlayStation VR will be at stand 31 with the following titles: Batman, Rigs, Rush of Blood and VR Worlds (Ocean Descent and The Getaway).
- Also featured on the PlayStation stand will be GT Sport, Gravity Rush 2 and PES17.
- At the Apex Interactive stand (stand 5) you can catch Warhammer: The End Times Vermintide, WRC 6 and Farming Simulator 17.
- Echoplex, a psychological puzzle game that pits your wits against your past self, is one of many local games that will be showcased on the home_coded booth.
- Among the Innocent: A Stricken Tale will also be on the home_coded booth. There will be a limited edition physical version of the game (i.e. a boxed copy with a game disc inside) for sale to visitors. It’s a first-person adventure game set on a remote farmstead in South Africa.
- Cape Town developers Amplify Games will be launching the alpha version of their new video game, Polygod, at the home_coded booth.
Competitions & Giveaways
- Matrix Warehouse Computers will be running three competitions at their stand, including a R50,000 Ultimate Gaming PC giveaway.
- The Entelect Challenge finals and prize-giving will be hosted on the stage from 10-11am on Saturday.
- The sixth annual rAge Cosplay Competition will be hosted on the cosplay stage on Sunday from 2-4pm.
- Blue Ocean VR will be hosting an AR (Augmented Reality) treasure hunt at their stand and visitors can win awesome prizes.
- The Call of Duty MAG Cup Celebrity Challenge starts at 1:30pm on Friday and will see two celebrity teams face each other in a battle for glory. Team Red will feature musician Jack Parow, comedian Jason Goliath and rugby player Rohan Janse van Rensburg, with team captain Ismail “Jakez” Jacobs from eN_Astra. Team Blue will be led by Insane Gaming’s Kaelin “Tanker” Govender and will feature journalist Pippa Tshabalala, musician AKA and comedian Deep Fried Man.
rAge Expo is shaping up to be an unmissable event for geeks and gamers everywhere, with a long list of activities, AAA games and specialty stages to keep the whole family entertained. Tickets are still available, so make sure you book yours now!
For more information on rAge, please visit www.rageexpo.co.za.
|Dates:||7 October – 9 October 2016|
|Show times:||Friday: 10:00-18:00 | Saturday: 09:00-18:00 | Sunday: 10:00-16:00|
|Day ticket:||R120 per person (Tickets available at the door or via Ticketpro outlets)|
|Weekend ticket:||R300 per person (Tickets available at the door or via Ticketpro outlets)|
|Kids under 6:||Free|
|Venue:||Ticketpro Dome | Cnr Olievenhout Avenue and Northumberland Road | Northriding, Johannesburg | GPS: 26 03’48.39”S / 27 56’35.54”E|