Calling all geeks! FanCon 2016 is South Africa’s very first Comic Con event launching on the 7th and 8th of May 2016, at the Look Out at the V&A Waterfront.
Whether you’re undercover, out of the closet or loud and proud, if you’re a lover of all things geeky (comics, video games, superheroes etc), then this event is definitely for you!
I had an opportunity to speak to one of the organisers of the event Mahdi Abrahams, and this is what he had to say about what you could expect… Take a listen:
Let the geeks unite!
FanCon : Cape Town Comic Con is a comic convention held at The Lookout, V&A Waterfront over the weekend of 7-8 May 2016. This is the first event of its kind to take place in South Africa and the 2-day show promises a host of entertainment for all lovers of comics and geek & pop culture.
Featured international guests : Jason Aaron (high-profile writer of bestselling comics series, Mighty Thor, Doctor Strange, and official writer of the current Star Wars comic book series), Jamie McKelvie and Ian Churchill ( both artists on a host of popular and critically acclaimed comic series from a variety of publishers such as DC, Marvel, and Image Comics). South African guests include Bitterkomix pioneer and co-founder, Anton Kannemeyer; bestselling author and comics writer, Lauren Beukes; James Bond official comic book series artist, Jason Masters, plus many more.
Attendees can look forward to a jam-packed programme of panel talks, presentations, and interviews with guests and speakers, and for the first time, a convention that promises the biggest get together of local, national, and international comic book creators and professionals.
More events and activities visitors can expect :
– an artist alley with over 30 artists from all over South Africa, with art and comics for sale
– signing sessions with guests, writers and artists, sketch sessions, comic launches
– exhibitors and vendors selling all manner of geek and pop culture products & merchandise
– cosplay masquerade and competition, including a junior cosplay, with cash prizes up for grabs
– geek quiz, where attendees stand a chance to win over R10 000 in prizes and gift vouchers
– Unplug Yourself, a free play zone of a variety of board and card games
– a host of sales and specials offered by vendors and retailers
– live performances and entertainment
– exhibits and displays of rare comics, original art, statues & models
Show times : Saturday 10.00am-7.00pm and Sunday 10.00am-6.00pm Weekend Ticket : R160
1 Day Ticket : R100
Book at Computicket, tickets also available at the door via the Computicket Box Office. Find out more here: fancon.co.za