Yesterday, 3rd October 2014, was the date for the pre-launch of Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) – Play Without Limits. At a small gathering in Johannesburg, selected media spent some time getting to grips with the game and all it has to offer. This sandbox mode game is a sequel to the successful, Disney Infinity (Disney and Pixar characters) release in 2013, which, in January 2014, had sold over 3m starter packs and a total of 10m downloaded Toy Boxes (preferred gaming mode over the story mode). All this amounts to an estimated $500 million in sales.
While the target audience are gamers between the ages of 6 and 12, it be farfetched to conceive an idea that many gamers between the ages of 20 and 30, who may actually afford to purchase figurines on their own account, occasionally enjoy games such as this. With the updated gameplay (just one of the many new updates of the game), I imagine this to be the case. If not for the game, the figurines make pretty decent collectables on their own.
For those parents worried about having to splash out all over again, rest assured this isn’t entirely the case here. Character data, Toy Boxes and save files can be transferred to the new version of the game software. Disney Infinity 2.0 allows you to use all the figurines, Power Disks and Toy Boxes from the original game. The only non-forward-compatible elements are the PlaySets. Also, none of the Infinity 2.0 products will be compatible with the original gaming software. It may seem a little confusing, but here’s a quick chart to draw the full picture. I’m sure owners of the first game should be able to make better sense of it.
The game will officially launch to the public at rAge 2014, which starts on 10th October. Items included in the initial launch are that of Avengers Starter Pack as well as the Guardians of the Galaxy combo sets. A few additional figurines and combo packs will be made available from November, which include figurines such as Thor and Hulk, and combo sets featuring Disney originals such as Merida and Stich, and separate originals such as Tinkerbell, Aladdin, and Donald Duck. Disney will be hosting a stand to showcase the new game and characters, something sure to be enjoyed by younger attendees of the massive gaming event, just under two weeks away now. For more details about the game, figurines, PlaySets, and the likes, as well as the RRP, please check out the press release below.
Last year, Disney unveiled its most ambitious and successful video game initiative to date – Disney Infinity. Now, the 2.0 edition of Disney Infinity – Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes will take players deep into the Marvel Universe with classic characters and original storylines – all while offering players more opportunity for unprecedented freedom and endless possibilities to create new adventures.
In Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes, players will use real-world interactive Marvel figures to activate original storylines (Play Sets) in the virtual game worlds of some of Marvel’s most popular franchises, including The Avengers. In the Play Sets – penned by award-winning Marvel comic writer Brian Michael Bendis – players will be able to take on the role of more than 20 Marvel characters including Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Thor, Hulk and Hawkeye to battle enemies, complete challenging missions, solve puzzles and ultimately save the world from destruction.
Featuring an enhanced Toy Box mode, Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes will introduce new structured, franchise-themed adventures that players can customize and play using any in-game character from across the Disney Infinity universe. Fans will also have hundreds of Marvel-themed items, locations, props and characters at their disposal to create their own stories or even re-create their favorite comic book moments.
MARVEL FRANCHISES – Marvel franchises introduce deeper, immersive storylines and Marvel Super Heroes deliver new combat gameplay, more destruction in game worlds, authentic Marvel gadgets and vehicles in Play Sets and Toy Box.
EPIC STORYLINES – Original, character driven stories written by award-winning Marvel comic writer, Brian Michael Bendis. Authentic, intertwined stories where some Marvel Super Heroes can cross between Play Sets, all set in iconic Marvel locations.
ENHANCED TOY BOX – An all-new Toy Box mode that makes it easier for players to create and share their one-of-a-kind levels and mini-games with family and friends. Use the new Creator tool to quickly build your worlds faster and easier than ever before.
TOY BOX GAME DISCS – New pyramid shaped discs deliver structured, franchise-themed games to the Toy Box. Build and customize your games by using Toy Box Toys of your choice and play through each game using any Disney Infinity character to complete missions.
FORWARD COMPATIBILITY – All of your Disney Infinity figures, toys and power discs are compatible with the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes Toy Box – stats and upgrades intact. Disney Infinity characters can increase their level cap from level 15 to 20 and skills can be allocated across a variety of attributes using the Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes skill tree.
POWER DISCS – New set of circular and hexagonal Power Discs will be available for Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes. Circular discs will add costumes, Area of Effect attacks and team-ups. Hexagonal power discs will add new weapons, vehicles and sky and terrain customizations. Select Power Disc descriptions are below:
Marvel Skies and Textures
- World War Hulk – Customize your landscape to make it look as if Hulk went on a smashing rampage
- World War Hulk Sky – Turn your blue skies green with this Hulk themed power disc
- Stark Tech – Deck out your Toy Box compliments of Tony Stark. Unlock the Stark Industries Tech theme with upgraded Hologram Readout Tech ability
- View from the Suit – Ever wonder what it’s like to see the world from inside Iron Man’s helmet? Check out the Hologram Readout Tech upgrade and unlock Stark Industries “View from the Suit”
- Hydra Motorcycle – Take Hydra’s Motorcycle for a spin. Sidecar included
- Lola – Need a ride? Unlock this Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. hover car
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Containment Truck – Contain enemies and protect civilians with this S.H.I.E.L.D. truck
- Falcon’s Wings – You’ll be soaring when you put on Falcon’s Wings
- The Avenjet – Hop on board the Avenjet for a speed boost in your Toy Box
Marvel Team-Ups and Costumes
- S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier Strike – Send down a missile strike from above. Your enemies will need to take cover
- Marvel Team Up: Winter Solder – Team up with the Winter Soldier and catch your enemies in the crossfire
- Marvel Team Up: Iron Patriot – Hit them hard, hit them fast, hit them everywhere! Iron Patriot reporting for duty
- Stark Arc Reactor – Try the Mark 42 on for size! Unlock Iron Man’s black and white special edition Guardians of the Galaxy armor with added boom!
- Sentinel of Liberty – Expand your Super Hero wardrobe with Captain America’s World War II costume and original shield!
- Gamma Rays – Time to get old school and unlock the Original Grey Hulk costume with added smash!
The Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) video game Starter Pack includes:
- 1 Disney Infinity: Marvel Super Heroes (2.0 Edition) Video Game
3 Marvel Super Heroes Figures: Iron Man, Thor and Black Widow
1 Disney Infinity Base (2.0 Edition)
2 Toy Box Game Discs
1 Marvel’s The Avengers Play Set piece
1 Web Code Card
Publisher: Disney Interactive
Developer: Avalanche Software
Release Date: 10 October 2014
Genre: Action/Adventure (sandbox)
Platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Wii U, PC, iOS
- Starter Pack: R999.95
- Play Sets: R399.95
- Disney Infinity Figure: R179.95
- Power Disc Pack: R79.95
- Website: www.disney.com/Infinity