Kindle FreeTime gives parents a simple, engaging way to encourage kids to spend more time reading
Word Wise makes it even easier for readers learning English to understand challenging vocabulary
Amazon introduced the all-new Kindle at incredible connections stores at a suggested retail price of ZAR 1999 —now with a 20% faster processor, twice the storage, and now with a touch interface.
“Our new Kindle is small and light, with weeks of battery life, a 20% faster processor, twice the storage, and now with a touch interface,” said said Peter Larsen, Vice President, Amazon Kindle. “The new Kindle includes all the features readers love—Whispersync, books in 60 seconds, weeks of battery life—and new exclusive features like Word Wise and Kindle FreeTime. It’s never been a better time to be a reader.”
“The new Kindle Touch is a great addition to the Kindle range. The smaller size and touch screen makes reading a real pleasure. We are looking forward to launching the new addition to the Kindle family at Incredible Connection.” Michelle Da Fonseca IC/HiFi Corp buyer.
The new Kindle is small, light, and portable—toss it in a beach bag or put it in a pocket to always have your reading with you. The new Kindle is great for anyone who’s new to e-reading:
- Readers who haven’t yet experienced an e-reader will be surprised by how easy it is to read on, with no glare even in bright sunlight, and weeks of battery life
- Readers who have never tried eBooks will love enhanced reading features like instant dictionary look-up and adjustable font sizes
- Parents will love that they can give their kids a purpose-built e-reader with an easy-to-navigate touch interface, plus great features that help kids learn—Kindle FreeTime, Word Wise, and more—for just ZAR 1999
Kindle features include:
- Kindle FreeTime—Gives parents a simple, engaging way to encourage kids to spend more time reading. Hand-select books for your kids to read, and hand out achievement badges when they hit reading milestones. A progress report keeps parents updated on total time spent reading, number of words looked up, badges earned, and books finished. This will be available later this year as part of a free, over-the-air software update.
- Word Wise—For readers learning English and kids learning to read, Word Wise, available on many English-language titles, makes it even easier to understand challenging vocabulary. Short and simple definitions automatically appear above difficult words, so you can keep reading without having to stop and look up a word. To learn more or to see the various meanings the same word can have in different contexts, just tap on the word to bring up a simple card with definitions, synonyms, and more. You can adjust the number of hints you see with a simple slider, dialing them up or down as you learn and grow. This will be available later this year as part of a free, over-the-air software update.
- Enhanced Search—Makes it even easier to find what you are looking for by combining and previewing results from your Library and the Kindle Store on the same page. This will be available later this year as part of a free, over-the-air software update.
- Weeks of Battery Life—Kindle e-readers have battery life that is measured in weeks, not hours.
- No set up required—Kindle arrives pre-registered so you can start reading immediately.
- Whispersync—Saves and synchronizes your last page read, bookmarks, and annotations across all of your devices and Kindle apps, so you can always pick up where you left off.
- Worry-Free Archive—Automatically backs up your Kindle books in the cloud, so you never need to worry about losing your books—re-download your books wirelessly anytime for free.
- Smart Lookup—Integrates a full dictionary definition with other reference information via X-Ray and Wikipedia.
- Time to Read—Tells you how much time it will take to finish a chapter or a book based on your personalized reading speed.
- Kindle Page Flip—Skim page-by-page, scan by chapter, or jump to anywhere in your book all without losing your place.
- Vocabulary Builder—Compiles words you look up in the dictionary into an easy-to-access list. Use these lists to quiz yourself with flashcards and instantly see words in context.
- Facebook and Twitter—Share book recommendations, highlighted sections, and meaningful quotes with friends.
Word Wise, Kindle FreeTime, and Enhanced Search will be delivered as part of a free, over-the-air software update starting later this fall. These features will also be available on Kindle Paperwhite.