Captain America: The Winter Soldier, is hitting cinemas March, 26th, and the star-spangled superhero promises that the sequel will be bigger and better with plenty more blockbusting action. With the release date just around the corner, here’s a few facts about Steve Rogers to whet your appetite.
When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree by the river of truth, and tell the whole world “No, You Move.” — Steven Rogers
1) Captain America’s parents were Irish. So yes, the captain himself is in fact Irish in ancestry. This is probably why he loves a good fight. His parents were poor Irish immigrants that fled to Manhattan in search of a new life.
2) Steve Rogers was in fact a fine arts student that had a knack for illustration. He was a comic book writer and artist before he became America’s First Avenger.
3) Captain America’s vibranium shield was gifted to him by Franklin D. Roosevelt himself. It is also during the creation of The Captain’s shield that Adamantium is discover by mistake.
Movie Trivia: Chris Evans declined the role three times before accepting the part. After that, he had a meeting with the director and the producers who convinced him to take the role.
4) Captain America trained the first African American superhero to be introduced to mainstream comics; Sam Wilson aka The Falcon. Many consider Falcon to be the Captain’s best friend.
5) Captain America was worthy enough to wield Mjolnir in a battle against the Midgard Serpent.
6) The Captain can lift and then some! He is able to bench press 545kg and he can run a little under 70km an hour.
There’s nothing patriotic about corruption or cover-ups…or defending them. But exposing them, well, that takes a hero. — Steven Rogers
7) During World War II, Captain America sold over a million copies per month, out selling Times magazine! Captain America was a true patriot in both fantasy and reality.
8) Captain America has always stood up for the people and his beliefs are his own. He is not limited or controlled by government. There have been times where he has lost faith in the American government, times when Steve Rogers has changed his identity and costume and donned new names such as: Nomad, The Captain and The man without a Country.
10) Captain America was not the first member of the Avengers or even a founder for that matter. He joined after Thor, Ironman, Wasp, Antman and Hulk. He was recruited to the team in order to keep the Hulk under control and would go on to replace Hulk as one of the team members.