With Thor: Ragnarok hitting the big screen today, it seems like a good idea to catch up on some interesting and relatively unknown facts about the Norse god from Asgard. Just how much do you know about the comic book hero? We’ll put your knowledge to the test. Only true fans are worthy of lifting the Mjolnir hammer.
1. Thor prefers latte to coffee.
2. Thor was tricked into helping Hitler in World War 2.
3. He has his own religious following in 2099, his followers are known as Thorites.
4. Odin had the hammer Mjolnir (which can summon the elements of wind, rain, thunder, and lightning) created for Thor’s 18th birthday. The traditional winged helmet that Thor often wears was also gifted to him as an adolescent from his father.
5. The comic storyline plays out a little different from the first Thor movie. Odin erased Thor’s memories and sent him to Earth in the mortal body of a crippled medical student, Donald Blake, as punishment for almost ending the truce between Asgard and the Frost Giants. This is how Thor met and fell for the nurse, Jane Foster. Thor was powerless and mind swiped for a full decade.
6. Odin was not fond of relationships between gods and mortals. So he created a strange love triangle between Donald Blake, Jane Foster and Thor.
7. Warrior Madness is a berserker rage Thor experiences. It multiplies his strength by 10. He has proven to be stronger than the Midgard Serpent, which has the strength to crush earth in its grip and pull the planets of our solar system in one go.
8. Thor defeated Captain Marvel/Shazam in the Marvel vs. DC comic run.
9. Thor and Hercules are good friends and rivals. They enjoy testing each other in battle. Most of their battles have ended in draws with no clear winner being determined, but they have bested each other on occasion due to situational victories.
10. It is said that Rune King Thor is powerful enough to be a legitimate opposition to Galactus himself.